Thursday, August 25, 2005

Life's little surprises

I taught an Adult GED course while I was in college to pay bills that my loan didn't.
Yesterday, while I was at a restaurant reading a book (Blue like Jazz) one of my students recognized me and was very proud to tell me he passed his GED test, had gotten a good job and is doing well.

To hear stories like his is exactly what I need to continue to persue a life of servanthood.
Honestly, I think it's the secret to living a happy life.
If your joy comes from inside, you will never be dissapointed.
(as you can see, I still need encouragement)

When I'm trying to understand someone (which is a favorite pastime of mine)
I will ask them "What do you love more than anything else in this world?"

I get all sorts of answers
Some say "My boyfriend"
Others say "Jesus of course!"

I try not criticize their answers,
that's not for me to judge.

One of the most profound answers I heard was from an older woman
(whom I consider to be an amazing Christian).

She said that she loved sunsets most

God is Eternal. His promises last through the ages
Even knowing this, with His wonders all around,
I still have my doubts.

I guess if living like this was easy,
it wouldn't be so valuable.

3 People Talking:

Blogger Tmproff said...

If you've ever read "Wild at Heart", it talks about how we are a fallen people. We were designed to do things we dont do anymore. I think that when we are out in nature, a little of that "purpose" comes back to us.

When I think of our bodies, I imagine a flower. It can survive in the wild most of the time where rain is uncertain and there is always the chance of getting crushed. But, If it's put into a flower garden, watered and tended to, we bloom so much more often. We reach our full potential!

Friday, August 26, 2005 6:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good book to read on this subject is:
Surprised by Joy
written by CS Lewis

Friday, August 26, 2005 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

one of my goals for the rest of this year is to finish up reading the rest of his books.

Friday, August 26, 2005 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home