Sunday, December 11, 2005

Peace

Peace isn't a pool of still water;
Comfortable, yet prone to stagnation.

Nor is it a fortress where I feel safe;
Sheltering me from those I was sent to help.

Peace is like a river flowing down a mountain;
Where high banks guide, gravity pulls.

It is as if I could close my eyes.
Running headfirst into a forest;
Knowing I will not be injured.

Peace is when the pain is still there,
But you have somewhere to put it.

In total darkness, it is a hand
Reaching to grasp mine.

Lord please grant me peace,
So I will have the courage to do what you sent me here for.

15 People Talking:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where on earth do you find the pictures? They all fit your writting so perfectly.

Monday, December 12, 2005 3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

It takes as long to find the pictures as it does to write. Sometimes I get so frustrated because in my mind, I know the perfect picture, but I cannot find it. As to where I find them, that's my secret!

Thank you for the compliment!

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Peace is when the pain is still there but you have somewhere to put it. In total darkness it is a hand reaching to grasp mine".... PERFECT, the way your words seem to work together, you can see and feel what you are writing...I think many can identify with your words. I enjoy your blog, your writing is intriguing...keep it up!!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of something I read about courage -- courage isn't the absence of fear, it's when you're terrified of the thing but you go ahead and do it anyway.

Sort of a paradox, like peace.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

In the movie RENT, there is a line in there that says:

The opposite of war isn't peace. The opposite of War is creation"

I think that is a very amazing truth. Peace is a means for stopping war. Peace is a process, not an end goal.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

That is an amazing statement...

Do you think it is always true?

God is Creator. But there is an element of Warring in His character...the war against evil and Satan....

Hmmmm....

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

Well Ashlee, I definatly believe that as much as we consider God our Creator, he's much more than that. He has the ability to destroy as much as create.

I am reminded of when Jesus walked past the fig tree, and after finding out that it did not have any figs, her cursed it and it died.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

The opposite of war isn't peace. The opposite of War is creation"

Tmproff,
I guess what I am asking is do you think that the opposite of war is always creation?

And if you do, what does that say when we see both elements so clearly portraited in the character of God? Does that mean His character is contradictory?

Saturday, December 17, 2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I guess you can't be happy and sad at the same time, but you can be happy or sad based on a circumstance. That doesn't make your feelings contradictory.

I think we need to define what War and Peace is to understand their relationship to each other.

In my opinion, War is a tool, Peace is a belief.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I just thought of something....

The opposite of Peace could be hopelesness

Saturday, December 17, 2005 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Peace is something that's very important to me... because I see it being at the center of much of Jesus' ministry. He is the Prince of Peace. The angels announced Peace on Earth. he came to bring Peace between God and Man, and peace between Men. We are called to live at peace.

I heard a definition of the Hebrew word for peace that I find useful... "Nothing missing, nothing broken." That is the state that God created Men in, and our rebellion brought lack and brokenness into our lives. It's the state that Jesus seeks to restore us to: wholeness.

"Peace" (in the shalom sense) and "war" are antonyms only in the sense that "love" and "racism" could be considered antonyms. They are antithetical to each other, but the absence of one does not guarantee the presence of the other.

The opposite of war isn't peace... because peace is so much broader than that. I can't say the opposite of war is creation, either. I think the opposite of war is simply "no war."

Loving peace, serving the Prince of Peace, should naturally lead us to oppose war. Peace is the goal, not a means to it. A restoration to a place where nothing is missing or broken - that's what we are Christians work towards on this earth.

qdtdajip

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

Great job Jon, but you forgot to define what War is in your opinion. It will greatly help me understand where you are comming from.

I checked out Webster:

Peace - freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions

War - a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:27:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

War isn't necessairly a bad thing either. For example, we can be at war with Heart Disease, Aids, Cancer....etc (I guess the cancer might object).

Where the waters get muddied is when we discuss the "War on Terrorism". Do we accept that the majorities opinion is the correct one?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

You're right, tmproff. I neglected to clearly define my terms. When I spoke of "war," I was speaking specifically of conflict (particularly violent conflict) between people.

I think that we are trigger-happy (pun intended) in our naming things "war" that aren't really war. How can we "war" with something like AIDS, something which doesn't have any type of will or self-determination? I think calling things like that "war" cheapens the experience of people who have truly experienced to atrocities of violent conflict.

dfyjzph

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I think calling things like that "war" cheapens the experience of people who have truly experienced to atrocities of violent conflict.

Have you ever experienced a loved one die of cancer? If they aren't fighting a war.....

More people die from heart disease than bullets every day.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home