Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Thought of the day

If you consider that there have been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000. The rate in Washington D.C.(among others) is 80.6 per 100,000. That means that you are about 33% more likely to be shot and killed in our Nation's Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion: We should immediately pull out of Washington D.C.

10 People Talking:

Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

This is hilarious....I am going to call my brother and inform him immediate evacuation is paramount!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know ... I bet my cousin who just got home from a year in Iraq and my friend's husband who's starting a year there would MUCH rather be in DC.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger APN said...

Probably so. Deaths occurring while serving in an occupying army in a nation with a populace that really doesn't want us to be there (since they want to live their lives and not one under US dominance) probably isn't a death anyone would want to experience.

Granted, dying on the streets of DC is no way to go, I'll be the first to admit. But what about nations like Canada which have stricter gun laws than those in the US?? Their murder-per-capita rate is SOOOO much lower that the US (who has the highest, by far, in the industrialized world). I think it's a question of culture, not just having gun control laws.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I agree with you Jennifer, I'm sure they'd want to be back in the states, but I doubt it would be because they were afraid of getting shot in Iraq.

I've talked to quite a few enlisted and they are very excited to be over there serving. It's the job they have accepted.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 8:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to disagree with you amigo, but they did/do fear for their lives.

My cousin, an infantryman stationed in Mosul, was on his way to lunch when the mess tent exploded. And my friend's husband drives the lead truck in a fuel brigade, which makes him a constant target.

Trust me, they were/are not excited to be there!

Sorry, just feel strongly about this one. Mainly I'm thankful my cousin's safe and home -- it was a hard year for us while he was gone.

Friday, December 09, 2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger APN said...

What about the ones who were corralled into by recruiters at High Schools and Malls?? Much documentation has gone into the efforts, lies, and half-truths given out to young men and women about what military life is like. I know that there ARE men and women who are proud to serve (TMProff and I are friends with such a man), but there are just as many who are NOT happy with what they have been asked to do in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Friday, December 09, 2005 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

Much documentation has gone into the efforts, lies, and half-truths given out to young men and women about what military life is like.

You could say the same about many things...marriage, careers... I was pressured to go into the military when I graduated High School (and after college as well).

It's very hard for me to believe that 50% of the people in the military that are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan feel tricked into enlisting / serving where they were ordered.

I think this is a very positive war. I believe that a majority of the enlisted men over there have faith in their commanding officers, and believe that they are making a difference.

Most of the people that argue the opposite haven't spoken to any of our enlisted men.

Friday, December 09, 2005 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Deaths occurring while serving in an occupying army..."

Occupying army? Do you really believe that we are trying to occupy their country...sounds like the all too familiar leftist jargon to me....way to go supporting the company line N. How about we just finish what we started and give these people an opportunity to live a life free of oppression from a tyrannical leader who wishes to place large numbers of them into a wood choppers or use poisonous gas on them.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

We are an occupying army, but for just cause in my opinon. Name a war in the last 50 years that we were not an occupying army.

I think our president did the best job he could with the information he had at hand. Just as 70% of the people here in Houston evacuated when hurricane Rita hit here a few months. There was potential for terrible destruction, but it ended up moving in a different direction. Were the people wrong for taking action?

I do think that there needs to be a trend of removing troops. That will be a great way to communicate to the world that we are not planning on staying there indefinatly.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger APN said...

Good thought anonymous. Let live their lives as they best see fit, free from a dirty, oppressive dictator and free from Western intervention. I would totally agree with that....

Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home