Monday, January 30, 2006

Candles and Coffee

I remember a few years ago, I was in a candle store looking at candels. Most of them were scented, and after a while...I couldn't smell any of them. The owner of the store recognized my dilemma, and with a smile on her face she came over with a can of ground coffee. She held the can up to me and told me to take a big whiff. The smell of the coffee was so totally different than the perfumed smells of the candles that my smell sence "reset". After that I was able to smell the candles again.

Looking around the store, I wondered how many shoppers couldn't smell them anymore. How many went by appearance alone...how many only looked at the pricetags?

7 People Talking:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I sense another allegory... :-) I'll have to think about that one.

By the way, this is a bit random, but the title of your blog- is that the name of a book by some psychologist or something? Or am I just dellusional?

Monday, January 30, 2006 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I didn't base the name off of any book (not saying that there isn't one named that). I just strive to be transparent in every aspect of my life.

My past is a tool for Christ...Good or Bad, it's all to His Glory. Also, it's the quickest way to gain trust that I've ever found.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am still mulling over your analogy here. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

But I do know this: Those are Yankee Candles, and they. totally. rock.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

Well a good start would be to say what it means to you :) This analogy can have many meanings (I do have one in mind, but I'll wait a bit to share it).

Half the fun of writing on this blog is to see other people's opinions on what I write.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

Oh, the hidden analogies...

Part of what stuck out to me hear was the fact that one must seek help (coffee beans), or wisdom from another source, to smell again. A change must be made.

This is a particularly hard concept for me.

Another thing to contemplate...does the smell necessarily determine a wise purchase? Other factors can sometimes be more influential...size, price, color, and who the candle is being purchased for.....

And yes, those are yankee candles...which totally rock! I LOVE the spiced pumpkin candle!!!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

Recently, a friend of mine came to me because she wasn't getting anything out of the church she was attending. She wondered if something was wrong with her walk with Christ....she started to doubt herself.

I told her about the church I was going to and how drastically different it is than any church I've ever attended in the past.

I was in her same situation about a year ago...I was "Trying to smell the candles"....going through the motions, but I was miserable and I didn't know why.

If you have hit a stagnancy in life (relationships, prayer, exercise)....try to look at the problem from a different perspective...What represents your can of coffee? Maybe you haven't found it yet.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes when God gives me a big
whiff of coffee and sets me back on the course I should be on, I am
resentful and upset. Lord, I do not see my life as you do, please
forgive my grumblings...

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home