Sunday, January 01, 2006

Dirt

Why do we associate "dirtiness" with "sinful"?

Genesis 2:7 says this:
And the Lord God formed man from the dust
of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the
breath of life; and man became a living being.


As dirt we were nothing;
Because of His breath we are dirt no more.

In Genesis 3:19 God curses man:
In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you
return to the ground. For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are. And to dust you shall return.


God forever reminds us of our origins.
He cursed the ground so we must work so hard to benefit from it.

As I rage my own war against sin, I am reminded of my origins.

I don't feel dirty, I feel hollow;
His breath absent from this pile of dust.

1 People Talking:

Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

I haven't ever given much thought as to why we associated dirtiness with sin until I read this post this morning. As I thought about it today, I think perhaps part of the reason is because passages that refer to "washing away" of sin or "purifying" or "cleansing" us from our sin. All of these words have "dirty" connotations.... Just a thought. I am not sure how that relates to our origin, and being reminded of that.....

Monday, January 02, 2006 4:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home