Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Flat tire


One night a few years ago I was driving down a old road on my way home from church. It was about midnight..the sky was clear, I could see the stars very well.

I hit something really hard in the middle of the road, and it blew out one of my tires. Not only did it flatten the tire, but it dented the rim. I got out, pulled the spare..and it was flat as well. I dont remember why, but I was in a bad mood that night. On that dark empty road I looked up and screamed at the top of my lungs "WHERE ARE YOU NOW WHEN I NEED YOU?"

Not 5 minutes later I saw a car driving down this road. An older gentleman got out, took one look at my tire and said "I can fix that!" He grabbed the tire and we both went to his house (less than a mile away)..

He pulled out a mallet, bent the rim back to shape, inflated the tire and returned me to my car. After seeing that I could finish the job, he shook my hand and left.

What are the chances of that!
God is so good...sometimes He whispers, sometimes His actions scream so loud.
Do you have a story similar to this?

5 People Talking:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all have stories similar to this. I think the key here is to do as Mary did:
She hid these things in her heart.
Years ago I started a journal just
to record the things that I could see where God showed up in a mighty way. It is wonderfuf to pull it out and read. Sometimes I
only pull my journal out once a year, and sometimes it is once a week. The Bible says that it is the goodness of God that draws men to Him. I so believe that!

Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Tmproff said...

I dont agree with you about hiding these in your heart. This story is a great way to glorify God. It wouldn't if we kept it hidden.

You must be careful to separate yourself from the story. I have heard some people that tell stories such as these and glorify themselves as much as the person that should be rightfully praised.

If anyone has a cool story that you can see His hand working in it, I'd love to hear! Also, it can be so encouraging to others when we talk about these things.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Ashlee Liddell said...

I agree with you tmproff, these stories glorify God, and edify the body of Christ.
My most recent story is very dear to my heart. I am still trying to process all of it, but I would love to share.
October was a very draining month for me professionally and personally. It all just hit me one Sunday as I sat in our staff meeting and my boss asked how everyone was doing. I was near tears because I was so overwhelmed, exhausted, and tired. On my way home from church I remember saying to God, "I just don't know how much longer I can continue like this." And of course, by this time, the tears were flowing.
When I got home I pushed aside my to do list and rested. Then I got a phone call from one of my third grade students (first time in three years a student has called me)! He invited me to dinner. Within thirty minutes, he and his family had picked me up and wisked me to dinner. As we were eating, Nathan handed me an envelope and asked me if I wanted to go with him. As I opened the envelope, there was a ticket to the first ever World Series game to be played in the state of Texas!
Now, someone might be wondering what expensive gifts have to do with glorifying God. You see, God was speaking directly to my heart. He was reaffirming to me that the desires of my heart are important to Him. He whispered to my heart, "My child, you are precious to me. It is not my desire for you to be overwhelmed. Rest, relax, enjoy, because you are precious to me." I am still amazed that the Creator of the universe romances me. He showed me He will stop at nothing to show His love and concern for me.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tmproff, I do not think you understood what I meant by hiding these things in my heart. It is not to actually "hide " them, it is to bring them into rememberance
often....not to forget them. It is said that Mary "pondered these things". By meditating on them I become closer to God, and of course I love to share them with anyone who will listen.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to marvel at God's goodness at letting me move to a Colorado city I have loved literally my entire life. Growing up, it was my dream to live here. And can you believe that NOW I DO???

So even though I'm terrified at starting a new life here -- wow. Just wow.

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home